We spent Saturday morning on top of Table Mountain with a bunch of other bloggers and their families for the launch of Table Mountain Cableway’s 3-for-1 CablewayKidz Season which gives South African families daily discounted rates. Children, tweens and teens alike – the Kidz Season special sees two youngsters under 18 years of age ride for free with every Kidz Season adult return ticket purchased for the special price of R250 online or at the Lower Station Ticket Office.
It was really such a treat to take the kids up the mountain and they were so excited in the build up leading to this adventure. The sun joined us for the morning but I was grateful for the extra jackets and beanies that I’d packed in – no matter how sunny it is at the bottom, you can count on a chill at the top. We had the best time rock-hopping and dassie spotting with views for days.
If you buy a CablewayKidz ticket, your young explorers will receive a sticker or a temporary tattoo and a Kidz Season treasure hunt map, in which they will find vouchers for free treats from the Shop at the Top and the Table Mountain Café. Older kids can download the free Voicemap app (available from the Apple App or Google Play stores) and enjoy the free Cableway audio tours. Once downloaded, these audio tours run offline and will provide your kids (and you) with great insights into the iconic New 7th Wonder of Nature.
Hungry adventurers can also stop by the Table Mountain Café for its Kidz Season Café Special that includes a ‘Dassie’ pizza slice, 200ml fruit juice and dried fruit rolls for R55.
If you’d like to take your kids up the Cableway, here’s what you need to know:
• The special runs from from Friday 27 April to Monday 24 September 2018 (excluding the Cableway’s annual maintenance period from Monday 23 July until Sunday 5 August 2018.)
• Parents purchasing tickets must ensure they have their valid South African ID on hand.
• Online ticket holders can join the queue to board the cable cars immediately on arrival. Online tickets are valid for 7 days and can be refunded within this 7 day validity period.
• Free 30-minute guided tours depart from the Twelve Apostles Terrace, below the Shop at the Top and the Table Mountain Café, on the hour from 9am to 3pm daily.
• There is FREE WiFi at the Lower Cableway Station and at the Upper Station in the Wi-Fi Lounge.
• Park and ride: Leave your car in the parking lot at the bottom of Tafelberg Road. From there you can catch the free MyCiTi shuttle to the Lower Cableway Station. Shuttles depart every 30 minutes between 7am and 7pm.
The Cableway operates weather permitting. For more information go to Tablemountain.net or call (021) 424 8181. Find them on Twitter @TableMountainCa or Facebook.com/TableMountainCa.