I love hugs. Who doesn’t? I have a super cuddly three year old who lavishes me with cuddly love and I know I’m one of those lucky moms in the hug department so I shouldn’t really complain, but I’d still love MORE. Little boys grow up too fast and so I need to capitalise right this very minute while hugging mom is still sort of cool. I have a few tricks up my sleeve when it comes to this, so I thought I’d share what I do to get my little one to hover in my embrace for more than a second. Here they are:
1. Hold and release. Enjoy a good deep squeeze and then loosen on up. No one likes to feel trapped in a hug, least of all a little boy. Release him before he wriggles way and you might buy yourself some time.
2. Secrets. Tell him you want to whisper a secret into his ear. He has to come close for this, he probably has to even sit on your lap. Bravo, now you just need a nice loooong secret to keep him there.
3. Be the hug monster. Little boys love monsters and moms of little boys like hugs. There we go.
4. Be the tickle monster. A fit of giggles can be very exhausting. Your child may need to collapse in your arms to recover. (Bear in mind that being a tickle monster can also be very exhausting. Especially if this game is played on repeat.)
5. It’s all about timing. Hugs happen best when your little one is sleepy or when he is trying to buy some time before bed or when you are hiding under the duvet together and waiting for Dad to come and find you.
6. Start a family hug tradition. This is the flavour of the the week in our home at the moment. Ilan summons us for a family hug by shouting, ‘Family hug happening now’. We are often summoned at inconvenient times but I’m game if it means I get a hug from my boy.
Voila. There you have it. The easy peasy guide to getting hugs from your three year old. (Sometimes they work, sorry no guarantees!)
Have you ever checked out the Purity Website? It’s full of Helpful Tips. Click here to read up on these topics:
Daily Feeding Guide
Food Allergy Guide
Introduction to Solids
Constipation & your baby
Vitamin & Mineral Guide
WIN WIN WIN a Purity Promise hamper: Purity & Elizabeth Annes’s Laundry Wash, Purity & Elizabeth Anne’s Head to Toe, Purity & Elizabeth Anne’s Special Baby Shampoo, Purity & Elizabeth Anne’s Baby Aqueous Cream, Purity & Elizabeth Anne’s Baby Petroleum Jelly, Purity & Elizabeth Anne’s Goodnight’s Cornstarch Powder, Purity Pedia Kids Arnica Gel, Purity Pedia Kids Nasal Spray, Purity Photo Frame & Purity spoon
To stand a chance to win this prize, please follow these steps:
1. LIKE Heart Mama Blog & Purity Promise on Facebook.
2. SHARE the Facebook image
3. Comment below with your name & email address (Optional, but helpful so I can track you down if you win!)
The competition closes on Friday 28 November at 12h00 and the winner will be selected via Random.org. The winner drawn must have followed all three steps above in order to qualify for the prize. Competition is open to South African residents only and delivery of the prize will be made to your doorstep. Good luck mamas!
Tell us a bit about your family
I’ve known John, it seems, forever. We were in a group of friends when we were younger and then went separate ways before meeting up again in the UK. We’ll be married 8 years next year. We both quite like our ‘home bubbles’ and are kinda nerdy at heart.Continue Reading
Tell us a bit about your family
My husband Dom and I grew up in Fish Hoek, Cape Town. We met in 2005 and got married in 2008. We now live in Blauwberg and enjoy our West Coast lifestyle. Dom manages a workshop for a luxury/classic car company (he’s a trained Auto Mechanic) and although I studied and used to work as an Occupational Therapist, I now work as part of the ministry team at our church. We became parents to our gorgeous Izabella in May 2014.Continue Reading