Summer is finally here (in Cape Town anyway) and for many of us that means school holidays and lots of time outdoors in the sun at the pool or at the beach with the kids. Prolonged sun exposure can be dangerous but, lucky for me, I have a husband who is borderline paranoid about the damaging effects of the sun and takes charge of getting the kids to cover up with sunscreen, hats and second skins.
I partnered with Justine South Africa to test their SolarTec range of summer skincare products which provides kids and adults the protection we need to enjoy the outdoors. This summer, Justine is encouraging all South Africans to take care of their skin, especially those who are planning to spend a lot of time in the sun.
Here are six sun care tips that we try to implement in our family:
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy and even if your kids have brown skin (in case you were wondering – dark skin does not make you immune from the harmful effects of the sun.)
- Apply sunscreen at home, before the kids get into their cozzies, so that you can ensure full coverage and not miss any spots. This also gives the sunscreen time to soak in before your kid becomes a sticky magnet for beach sand. Be proactive about sun care.
- Apply sunscreen to those tricky areas that are often forgotten – behind the ears and on the back of hands.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours at least or more often when swimming or sweating. Remember that water and sand can reflect the damaging rays of the sun.
- Stay out of the sun over midday – experts say to limit the time you’re in the sun between 10am and 4pm! Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, the sun’s rays are at their strongest, and you should find shade. (Thank you Google for this tip!)
- Keep hydrated and encourage the kids to drink water even if they don’t think they’re thirsty!
The Justine SolarTec range is oil free, non-sticky and absorbs quickly. Scroll down for images of the SolarTec™ range which includes Skincare Body Lotion SPF 40 125 ml, Skincare Age Defence for Face SPF 30 and Skincare Lip Shield SPF 25 for adults. The kids range includes Roller Ball for Body SPF 30 and Face and Body Cream SPF 50.
What I love about this range is that it is so affordable – the SolarTec Kids Roller for Body costs only R69! What Kira loves about the Kids range is that they smell amazing – I can’t quite put my finger on it but if you imagine bubblegum ice cream mixed with candyfloss, then you’re on the money. Kira wanted to lick it off her arm it smelt so good. The Roller also applies as turquoise and then disappears when the cream is rubbed it – Kira loved the novelty of the roller application and the colour too.
Check out the Justine website and catalogue for product information and to place your order.
*This post is sponsored by Justine South Africa